Welcome to Wednesday Hodgepodge! I'm joining in with Joyce and the other ladies for the weekly hodgepodge.
1.The first question today was submitted to Joyce by Marla from Marla's Musings. She asks, "At what age did you feel like a grown-up? What keeps you young now?
I don't remember a magic moment exactly, but looking back in my life, it was probably when we drove off from the hospital with our firstborn. I had always babysat from the time I was a young teen and also had a home daycare before we had our own kids, so I was really comfortable and not nervous as most young parents are, BUT I did realize that we were TOTALLY responsible for this little life we were taking home. I also realized that someone else wasn't going to show up at 5:00 to relieve us.
2. When did you last buy a vehicle? Was this by design or because you had no other option? Was the car/truck purchase for your own personal use or was it bought for someone else to drive? On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being delightful and 1 being "pass the Excedrin") how would you rate the experience?
We bought a new to us pick-up just about a month ago and it was a necessity! My hubby's old truck was having some major problems and it was just better to buy instead of repair. I hated to see the old truck go though because it was our son's first vehicle!
3. Corn bread, corn chips, corn pudding, corn on the cob, cornflakes, corn chowder-your favorite of the corn-y foods listed? What needs to be served alongside your selection?
I have learned to really like corn bread in the last few years. Of course, it has to be served with a big ol bowl of pinto beans! My favorite corn dish though is a shoe-peg corn casserole that I got from my mother-in-law years ago. It's best with meatloaf or any meat dish.
4. What's something in your life that regularly requires you to 'put your thinking cap on'?
This quarter in my Bible Class, I haven't liked the lessons in the curriculum for the most part. Not so much I don't like them, but I just don't feel like they're age appropriate for my kids. So, I try to come up with ways to help the kids grasp the meaning of the lesson. Some weeks are harder than others and I stay up late Saturday nights to try to come up with something!
5. Share a favorite movie set in a school or classroom, or whose theme relates to school days in some way.
There are so many to choose from! I love Grease though! John Travolta and Olivia Newton John are just great together.
6. Reading, writing, and 'rithmetic' are commonly referred to as the three R's. What are the three R's in your life right now?
Rain-we have an 80% chance of it today and I'm hoping it happens or else my water bill is going to be outrageous.
Road Rage-Driving in Dallas last week was horrible and we have another trip there in a few weeks. I could never live there...never. I probably caused more road rage for others than I actually experienced myself! haha
Reminders-I have notes stuck everywhere and alerts on my phone to try to help me with everything I need to be doing.
7. What's something you've learned or tried recently you can say was 'easy as ABC'?
I found a great new recipe for oven-fried chicken and vegetables that is so easy and so good! It's a one pan meal so it's a very easy clean up too!
8. Random Thought- These guys have arrived! Not long ago, the weatherman showed a 'cloud' on the radar that was actually a herd (don't grasshoppers travel in herds?) of grasshoppers that were headed our way and now they're here. It's dangerous to walk through the yard with your mouth open because you may get a mouthful of something you don't really want!
Have a great rest of the week!