Thursday, April 11, 2013

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

It's a beautiful chilly day here in SE Oklahoma.  One of these days spring will decide to hang around for longer than a week or so.  Oklahoma weather is crazy!
 A few months ago, we had new neighbors move into the house next door.  They are huge animal lovers and like to rescue animals and give them a good home. 
They have this big guy-Tank.
Tank was stepped on by his mother when he was a puppy.  His hips were separated and very badly damaged.  He wasn't expected to live much less to even walk.  This family took him and he is now 4 years old and runs everywhere!  He has a lot of trouble getting up and down but once he's moving, he's fine.

They also have this precious little thing whose name just happens to be Precious!
Precious practically lives at our house.  He plays here.  He eats here.  He sleeps here.  I just adore him!  He was also a rescue kitty, very near death when they found him during a rain storm.  He is just the cutest thing and so full of personality.

A few evenings ago as I took Sandy out for a walk, the girl next door called me over to 'see what we've got'!  Their newest rescue...um pet.
A baby armadillo!  I know I had a look of shock on my face and my first words were, "Don't they carry LEPROSY???"  I've always heard that but didn't know it for the truth.  So, I didn't touch it and I didn't let Sandy, who was VERY interested in it, touch it either. 
I have to say that it really is one of the cutest little things!  It's shell is not hard yet, but sorta drapes over it's body like soft leather.  It was very friendly, crawling up on the shoulders of the neighbor girls, snuggling up under their chins.   He/she was a rescue too!  The guy found it along side the road after dropping the kids off at school.  It was staggering and barely able to stand up.  By evening, after being fed throughout the day, it was running around all over the yard.   I kinda scared the girl up about the leprosy thing so she was going to check with the vet the next day.    Anyway, it is really cute and unlike any other 'pet' I've ever seen!

On a sad note, we lost one of our sweet cats Sunday morning.   The other outside cat is really missing her this week so I've been giving him extra attention.   She was also Sandy's cat and I'm sure she wonders where she is too.

Have a great Thursday!




No comments:

Post a Comment